Saturday 15 June 2024

What's Morata you hey?

Spain 3 - 0 Croatia 

The big game was something of an anticlimax then, with Spain dominating and racking up a 3-0 win. Gone are the days when they clock up 80% possession but with little threat - now that they have Nico Williams and the ridiculously young Yamal. With those two they add incision and purpose to their still dominant possession game.

Croatia lacked something, both in central defence and up front, the end of an era I feel. That said, I guess it is worth seeing them Vs less formidable opposition before judging.

Tonight I learned a new thing about encroachment from a penalty kick. I'd not realised it just results in a free kick rather than a retake. Definitely a disincentive.

A cracking start to the tournament. I'll be taking in Italy Vs Albania on delay, to facilitate being a normal human for a few hours - but very much looking forward to seeing the holders in action. I've always said the thing that I like most about these international tournaments is the fact that teams have a real national identity. Whilst that has diminished over the years (with so many players of different nations all playing in the same leagues), I do feel tonight's matchup will display this theory.


No comments:

Post a Comment