Sunday 23 June 2024

Pray for Varga

Group A finale 

Scotland 0-1 Hungary

Switzerland 1-1 Germany 

(* I should precede this post by saying I hope so much that Varga is ok. I was hoping that the sight of sheets around an injured player was a one off last time around. There is no more stark reminder of how unimportant footy is,  than when a player gets seriously injured, and the bubble of escapism that footy provides is burst so suddenly).

Here we are at the group deciders. It's come around quick. Usual conundrum about match choice. Switzerland v Germany always likely to be the better footballing spectacle, but Scotland v Hungary the one with the tension and jeopardy. The latter got my vote, with our central European friends tucked away on my tablet for half an eye to be kept on.

Both games turned out to be very dramatic. Scotland and Hungary played cat and mouse for 60 minutes before a potentially tragic and absolutely wild finale had me shouting at the telly.

Germany grabbed themselves a 92nd minute equaliser that the stats show they deserved, although from my second screen glimpses, it looked like the Swiss were doing a proper job on them.

Ultimately, Group A finishes up as you'd have expected pre tournament. Hungary wait on the medics mainly, but on other results to determine their plight.

No comments:

Post a Comment