Friday 14 June 2024

Not hyped?

Why have I not been hyped for this tournament? I love international tournaments but something is different. By this time I am normally knee deep in Panini stickers, decorating my walls with fixture charts, booking annual leave and  humming "it's coming home" to myself. This year I feel a bit cold about it all, until 8pm tonight that is.

I think there's a combination of reasons. 

First and foremost is the Southgate effect. I feel numbed by his management of our team. He's had a top 2/3 squad for his entire tenure, and has set them up like underdogs each tourney, largely earning praise for our progress when really he should not have. I despise how he manages the squad. Since the World Cup its all been about hanging on to Hendo, MacGuire, Phillips as long as possible, only to be without them all going into the tournament, and thus we now have a team with virtually no cohesion or understanding. Still, we are good enough to do well despite him, so all hope is not lost.

Then there's the fact that I've pretty much only just switched off the Champs League final - the tourney seems to have come about quickly.

Either way - this negative vibe is set to wear off during the day, as game 1 approaches. Hosts Germany vs Super John McGinn's Scotland, promised to be a high energy opener I'd think. With friendly kick off times throughout, I should be able to watch a good amount of the tournament, and it should be pretty open with a host of teams realistically in with a shout. 

I've been feeling a bit grotty this week, and had some time off work, including today. So my plan now is to take in some of the pre-tournament commentary and vibes, so that I can offer up a predicted winner (surely it comes from France/Spain/Germany) and also pick out potential dark horses. I think there could be a good few upsets in this one. 

The best possible outcome? Southgate leaves the squad early after being offered the Man United job. He promises to slowly crush their soul over the course of his 9 year contract. England are taken over by the BBC punditry team. We draft in an actual left back to the squad (previous reports claimed that there were none, but then someone realised that teams other than the sky six exist). Then Bellingham, Konsa and Watkins unleash all hell on the tourney, winning it in style. Konsa and Watkins (amazingly considering their exertions in the tournament) manage to tap up lots of Europe's top talent, with six top players returning home with them to join Villa on a free. 

Its coming home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment