Tuesday 25 June 2024

I don't know what this means

Group D finale 

Netherlands 2 - 3 Austria

France 1 - 0 Poland

What an exciting afternoon of football that was. I expected France and Netherlands to comfortably win their respective matches with goal difference determining the Group winners, but the early [banger] of an own goal put Austria into a surprise lead out a different slant in things. This one was my game of choice as I expected it'd be tighter.

Then ensued 35 minutes of relative tedium before all hell broke loose in the second half.

Poland looked to be causing some threat. Netherlands equalised, went behind, equalised again, then went behind AGAIN. All of this happened during the time it took Lewandowski to take the run up for his penalty which put Poland level with France.

Frantic scanning of live tables and we ended up with the (in my mind) impressive Netherlands in 3rd place in the group, and, I am sad to admit it, I have no idea what that means. I'm assuming that some poor group winner will be matched up against them, but am not even sure that is true. I've still yet to properly work out what is going on, I think because of some kind of "Team # from group x plays the best placed 3rd place team out of groups y or z" which basically makes me want to stab a fork into my eyes.  It's actually a shame to see highly consequential goals going in, but having no idea what it means for the tournament.

But, huge kudos to Austria, Rangnick has done an incredible job there. A banging performance and deserved result.

England up next, I'm fully expecting a better performance and for our nation to immediately flip into "it's coming home" mode.


No comments:

Post a Comment