Sunday 16 June 2024

Look who's back

Slovenia 1 - 1 Denmark

3 years ago I was on the tournament grind, watching Denmark v Finland on my mobile in the local boozer. I remember the feeling of absolute doom as Christian Eriksen lay motionless, face down on the turf after his cardiac arrest. Any kind of mass public event felt like it was naughty back then (insert 'apart from if you are a Tory' gags here). 

Anyway, obviously I'd kind of forgotten that all that happened until I saw the team-sheets today, and despite him having played a lot of football between then and now, I found myself surprised and amazed that he was lining up for the Danes tonight. Alongside a very capable set of team mates too. I found myself interested also, to see how Hojland performed, without being surrounded by the Man United circus.

And so to the game. Eriksen scores, a lovely moment and big personal redemption for him, I expect. The game is pretty messy, fun in parts, but largely forgettable. Denmark are better, Slovenia offer not much really but claw their way back into it with a late equaliser. The point probably opens up Group C and ensures and interesting match day 3 for sure.

[☝️This paragraph was completely re-written during the final 10mins]

Quick bath, some more paracetamol (suffering a chest infection which is making the football all the more welcome as I'm not capable of much else) and onto England. From nowhere I'm now feeling wildly confident. I saw our predicted line-up (and just now the actual team sheet) and it's really impressive, capable of doing some real damage, if only they can ignore the Southgate soul-drain and find the intensity that tournament winners need.

No comments:

Post a Comment