Wednesday 26 June 2024

Brinkmanship

Group E finale

Ukraine 0 - 0 Belgium

Slovakia 1 - 1 Romania

A strangely undramatic yet incredibly tight group finale this one. Both games were ok, and had a few chances but it was somehow subdued. All four teams kind of seemed ok with the draws they were getting. Ukraine of course were in most peril, and played actually really well, but even something about them suggested that they were kind of hoping for a winner in the other game that would have seen them through with a draw.

My match of choice was the Belgium one, and I spent a good part of it purring at the combination of Tielemans, Onana and De Bruyne in their midfield, before realising that they had looked great without creating anything fully decisive. It does feel as though they will click though, potentially at great cost to someone soon. That someone of course is France, in what is surely the pick of the last 16.

Ukraine had been improving, but in truth deserved to be knocked out from that group, as the others all offer something extra.

The group F games are happening now, and it seems that unless Georgia go crazy, it will mean England play Netherlands and our defence will get an examination. 

I've been teaching my kids to ride bikes the last few days and found myself comparing my own teaching / mentoring approach to Southgate. Initially I was demanding caution and safety above all else, and what I got in return was nervous, unconfident, frustrated efforts in return. As I slowly released the shackles and gave the kids more responsibility, they thrived and absolutely smashed it. They are proud of their achievements and are loving the process. It's hard to let the shackles off, but I can confirm that it works. Your move, Gareth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment