Friday 21 June 2024

Pulling up trees

Poland 1 - 3 Austria

(I was super close to using "Posch Blank" as the post title, after he was denied a glorious goal late on)

I did Austria a disservice in my last post, claiming this was a game I had little hope for. I'd forgotten if course that Rangnick's team were one of the most slick and entertaining of the first set of games. This memory had evaded me in amongst Mbappe's nose explosion and Frances win. It seems that the only really shocking games are reserved for those involving England.

Poland again cracked out a very loud and emotional anthem, which got me doing some research about it. I could sense a certain passion about it that warrants knowing more. "Poland is not yet lost" is the main vibe, a nod to the fact that national identity will live on regardless of borders being redrawn and politics. You can definitely feel the resolve of a nation when it is sung.

The game here was pretty lively, both teams giving a decent showing. Lewandowski made an appearance, coming on as a sub and demonstrating his eagerness with a yellow card about 2 min later. I think the fact that Netherlands and France are in the group saw both teams gunning hard for the win. Most likely they'll be scrapping it out for a 3rd place and 3 points nailbiter slot. 

Austria came out on top, stretching into a lead after an otherwise tight first hour. Baumgartner (translated tree gardener) scoring a good second before Arnautovic slotted the first penalty of the tourney for the third.

Austria are playing well enough to entertain a chance vs Netherlands in their final game.

Easy to forget Ralf Rangnick's short/non spell at Man United. I wonder whether in another reality he might have stayed and got them playing like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment