Friday 21 June 2024

Memories of Berbatov

Slovakia 1 - 2 Ukraine

Group E is shaping up to be an interesting one. At half time, with Slovakia leading I felt like there was a strong chance that Belgium might finish in 3rd place and thus potentially be a banana skin in the making for whomever draws them in the round of 16. 

I've been down that rabbit hole and it all seems undetermined, with the fixtures listing "Winner of Group B v 3rd from Group A/D/E/F". Oddly, the winner of Group F only has a pot of 3 potential opponents, 3rd place from A/B/C. How this gets narrowed down I have no idea? Draw? Predetermined by some magic formula? Drop a comment if you actually know! One thing is for sure (and I know this after following a Europa Conference League campaign), is that UEFA love a bit of complexity in a draw.

The second half saw Ukraine rally and their second for the winner was a lovely piece of Berbatov style control. We wait for tomorrow night to find out what happens between Belgium and Romania, could be a cracker that one. On paper, we're very likely to see all teams on 3 points going into their final games.

Right, I need to steel myself for the Poland v Austria match, hopefully it will surprise me, but I'm not expecting much...

No comments:

Post a Comment