Thursday 17 June 2021

There's something in the air

  I was sat the other day watching the France v Germany game, and something hit me - this tournament feels different to me than other previous tournaments (in a good way!)

I'm not sure whether its due to Covid and the impact it has had on everyone's lives, the fact that I am genuinely optimistic for England's chances or the fact that its the first time my son has really been caught up in it all (or a combination of these) but this Euro's has an added feeling of euphoria about it.

The last point in particular is particularly poignant to me. I remember (as I'm sure we all do) the first tournament we ever really felt swept away by. Mine was Italia '90 - sure I followed Mexico '86, but I don't really remember anything from that one. Italia '90 is the first tournament I can remember really getting behind and religiously following, wallchart and Panini sticker book in hand. I was speaking to my younger brother the other day and he was the same about Euro '96 - at that time he was the same age as my son is now and he can recall how much joy he got from watching it all unfold.

In previous tournaments my lad has never really had that passion - he's asked who was playing if he wandered in while a game was on, and checked on England scores after they had played, but this year he has really got involved. 

"Dad can I get an England flag to hang out my window?"

"Can I get a wallchart to see who we (England) might end up playing?"

Of course you can son, welcome to the world of an England supporter.

He's even (shocked silence here) sacrificed playing on his XBox or watching his favourite YouTubers to sit and watch some games with his old man. Sure he's full of questions, and I must have tried to explain offside at least a dozen times, but I don't care, its a minor inconvenience compared to that simple feeling of watching a footy game with your son.

Sometimes its those simple little things that make something great even more special, and I'm loving every minute of it. I think that's something that gets a bit lost in everyday life sometimes, and its something we should never lose sight of and grab it whenever we can. Long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment