Thursday 10 June 2021

It starts.........

Finally, after what seems like the wait of a lifetime, its here. Euro 2020 - postponed due to the Coronavirus outbreak - is charging over the horizon with the next 4 weeks looking like an absolute orgy of footballing entertainment. 

Firstly, I'd like to say hi. My names Kev, and I'm a amte of Birchys, who has very kindly invited me to contribute to the blog with him and Steve, which I'm really excited about. As a football fan (well I support Nottingham Forest - read into that what you will!) it’s felt like an eternity since the 2018 World Cup, and the anticipation has been building towards fever pitch for a while now. So, kitted out with my England shirt, along with my son in tow who is as excited as ever seen him for a tournament, I’ve decided to blog my way through the tournament, sharing my thoughts and views along the way. They are only my opinions, so keep that in mind when reading through, I don’t expect everyone to agree but let’s keep any differences of opinion friendly and respect others thoughts eh?

So, without further ado, here’s my pre tourney thoughts on each group, and who knows, I may even throw in some predictions. 

Group A - Italy, Turkey, Wales, Switzerland

On initial glance this isn’t a bad group to be in, however with Wales flying high in the last Euros, and the Italians always worth a look and on a great unbeaten run, maybe it’s not that simple. I feel like one of these will win this group, I just can’t see Turkey or the Swiss doing enough to top the table, although they could have a big say in how this group ends up.

Predictions - Italy to win, Turkey to finish bottom

Group B - Denmark, Finland, Belgium, Russia

Honestly, I can’t see anyone other than Belgium topping this group, with a very tight scrap for the other places. It could be any order for those 3 but I’m going to stick my neck on the chopping block based on my gut feelings.

Predictions - Belgium to win, Finland to go home

Group C - Netherlands, Ukraine, Austria, North Macedonia

It’s great to see North Macedonia taking a place in the tournament - I wish them well but feel like they don’t have what it takes to get out the group. However they definitely get the award for best flag in the tourney. In terms of the top of the table I think the result from the Netherlands v Ukraine game will sort that out.

Predictions - Netherlands to win, North Macedonia to go home

Group D - England, Scotland, Croatia, Czech Republic

This is a tricky one to call, as this feels like the most evenly balanced group, and all these teams are capable of beating each other on a good day. England have a long history of flattering to deceive, Croatia and the Czechs are always dark horses, and Scotland will be looking to prove a point after a long break from tournament football. I’ve got to back the Three Lions, but it will be a tight group I think.

Predictions - England to win, Scotland to go home

Group E - Spain, Sweden, Slovakia, Poland

Similar to Group B, I can only see Spain winning this one. They aren’t the force they have been in the past but should have what it takes, and I can see the others taking points off each other along the way. Pick one of 3 to go home here!

Predictions - Spain to win, Poland to go home

Group F - Germany, France, Portugal, Hungary

Ouch. You’ve got to feel for Hungary here, that’s a hell of a group to end up in. Some great fixtures early in the tourney but this definitely looks like the fabled ‘group of death’. We know the Germans excel at tournaments, France have some serious talent but can be very hit or miss, and Portugal are defending champions and have Ronaldo leading the way. This could all work for Hungary, with the others all taking points off each other and leaving the back door open for Hungary to pull off a shock result somewhere and sneak through, but I just can’t see it.

Predictions - Portugal to win, Hungary to go home

So there you have it, my views on the groups and who I think will top and tail each group. All that remains is to give you the big ones - who I think will win Euro 2020 and the Golden Boot winner. Drum roll please................

Euro 2020 winners - England. I know I’m biased but there is some really exciting talent available to Gareth Southgate, who I think has done a great job of leading the team. The last couple of years have, more than ever, given a need for something to cheer the nation up, and those hopes could push support for the lads high and hopefully squash some of the negativity that surrounds English football. I really think it’s coming home!!!

Golden Boot - Cristiano Ronaldo. One of the all time greats, who has (unlike times in the past) a team around him capable of going all the way. Given that stage I think this will truly be his tournament.

Right I’ve waffled on long enough, thanks for reading and hopefully you join me on this rollercoaster of a journey. It’s my first blogging experience so I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes, and I’m always up for feedback from you, dear reader. I’ll see you again once it’s all kicked off for a review of the first few games. Take it easy and enjoy the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment