Monday 21 June 2021

Hipster choice and business end

This is the strange stage of each tournament where only the truly dedicated watch every match. Simultaneous kick-offs are a nightmare for the wannabee completionist with a busy life. And so I'm making my choices. Today I am feeling very hipster by watching the 'alternative' match - Ukraine vs Austria over on ITV4.

The stadium in Bucharest looks completely amazing; whether the match shapes up is another thing, but I can't see any of the teams playing out convenient draws in this final round of Group games. I mean, if Italy didn't then nobody will, right. Part of the reason surely is that no team actually has a clue what is needed to get through as a best 3rd place qualifier. Whilst really annoying, it is probably helping the group games to all be meaningful and competitive. It does throw in a nasty unfairness slant though, as by the time Group F come to their final games, the mathemeticians will have been at it and worked out the formula needed for qualification from that group.

So today Groups B and C get decided and my head hurts just trying to work out the permutations, but suffice to say the main interest will be (for me):
  1. whether Ukraine or Austria put the other team into peril by beating them
  2. whether Denmark can harness the positive energy being sent their way by the footballing world and come up with a last ditch qualification escape
  3. De Bruyne (if he plays) 
The games have continued to be good fun, with Switzerland and Turkey serving up a treat for the hipster alternative channel watchers yesterday, and Italy vs Wales being tense in its own way. Certainly Italy (now on a 30 game unbeated streak) look very assured. 

And tomorrow it is England again, with everything rather much on a knife-edge. Defeat could theoretically see us go out, and yet a confiudent win would see us re-installed as up there with the favourites. Southgate, I hope is looking into a mirror right now and asking himself "Do I want to let the great, in-form players in my team to thrive - or shall I grind out a joyless progression and inevitable exit somewhere along the line". Or to abbreviate, "shall I crack on and pick Grealish"?

Tomorrow we will know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment