Saturday 19 June 2021

Forgotten matches and the clamour for Grealish

I need to have a word with myself. This week I missed two matches. I missed two matches because I forgot they were even on. Why? Because I was working. I should submit this information for my appraisal. "Works diligently whilst at home, to the point of forgetting to tune in to North Macedonia's efforts to progress through Group C". I'm not proud.

Whilst we're on Group C, the aforementioned North Macedonia are going to need something special against the flamboyant Netherlands from their last game to qualify. What is nice is that in this group (and I think mathematically in all groups) all of the teams should have something to play for in the final match.

The tournament has really taken off this week. Some good performances (Wales, Italy, Netherlands again, Belgium once they tried) and some drama (all the missed penalties, long range goal) and of course the heartening news that Eriksen is recovering and out of hospital.

Today's games all involve potential favourites. Expect Spain to pass themselves and Poland into a mesmerised slumber, France to unleash all hell on Hungary and Ronaldo to defy the ageing process once more and put Germany into real peril.

I've left the mention of England until last. The draw against Scotland puts us on 4 points and should mean we qualify. It also opens up the possibility of us potentially not playing against Group F opponents in the next round. But we can't prejudge the mathematics. What upsets me is that by setting out with a combative line-up, we signed up to a combative game. Leveller by selection. I think no other nation at the tournament would leave a talent like Grealish sat on the side. He is the most elegant player I have ever had the fortune to watch live, and needs to be gracing the TVs of a watching continent/globe. Hopefully the light-switch effect of his introduction against Scotland, coupled with inevitable media clamour will secure his place going forward, and that will only be a positive for our chances.


No comments:

Post a Comment