Friday 11 June 2021

And so it begins

 I can't believe it. It's here. I want to share a few ramblings before it all begins. 

Stickers: First, let's address the elephant in the room. Panini sticker album. I still want one, and I'm resigned to the fact that this is not a situation one grows out of. It's in me - and I can already see future me, hunched over in a care home, berating myself at a non-straight placement of a Hungarian full-back. Last time I completed an album (Spain 2012) I did it the grown up way - ordering individual stickers (up to the limits they give) to avoid the need to hang around school gates asking for swapsies. I wonder if there is any facility to just order the whole lot up front - I would pay (please message me if this is a thing).

Watching: Next up let's talk about watching plans. I thoroughly intend, as ever, to watch each and every game. This is harder to do with family and kids - but is achieveable. The existence of airpods and reliable live TV streaming to tablet devices from set-top box makes multi-tasking during games a doddle. It is the sheer variety that is the main appeal to me. North Macedonia the mustard on the plate alongside the steak of Belgium, chips of England and peas of Portugal. You still get a good meal without the mustard - but its better with it there.

Predictions: let's have a quick look. I think Group Winners and losers will be:

Group A - Italy to win, Switzerland to go home

Group B - Belgium to win, Finland to go home

Group C - Netherlands to win, Austria to go home

Group D - England to win, Scotland to go home

Group E - Spain to win, Sweden to go home

Group F - Portugal to win, Hungary to go home (they may as well resign, what a dud draw they got!)

This of course leaves 2 additional 3rd place teams to go home. I can never get my head around this tournament mechanic, so i'm not even going to guess. 

Top scorers: My wildcard choices would be Bruno Fernandes and Timo Werner (if I can sort my life out I will have a flutter on each of them). Safe money says Kane. 


It kicks off tonight with Italy vs Turkey - two teams I've seen nothing of in the past 3 years so I can't wait to get started. It could be cagey, and Wales and Switzerland will both be ok with it turning out to be a draw. I have a feeling it could be fiesty too. Soyuncu red card anyone? 

Have a great tourney everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment