Tuesday 9 July 2024

Intervention

Here we are, seemingly suddenly, at the semi-finals.  It all seems to have come around so fast and yet we are days away from seeing the Kings of Europe crowned.

I have taken some time to cool down after the apoplexy induced by the 120 minutes that preceded our sensational penalties performance, and during that time vowed to reset my mentality. I have done so fully aware that my new, positive outlook might get instantly burned, but anyway.

The root causes of my disgruntlement are twofold. 

One: I detest Southgate, and detest that he is lauded for success during a period where I consider him to have failed badly with such rich talent at his disposal. However, his record is favourable to others who have gone before, and as Guardian Weekly (who also are rabid with disappointment at the whole campaign) pointed out, it's not like previous managers haven't had good players to work with. So I hold my opinion about Southgate, but also respect the alternate view 

Two: I take a very neutral stance during competition football. This is likely because of England's usual failure, I have trained myself to feast on the festival of football and not attach my enjoyment to England's success or otherwise. Typically I support goals in the games I watch (all of them), and I root for the team who is playing the nicest footy and give me the best chance of prolonged enjoyment into the latter stages. England of course haven't fared well in this respect. To the point that I would be lying if I denied I felt at some points (mainly minutes 11-120)of our matches, that I'd prefer our opposition to go through.

Anyway. A few days of only watching AI Southgate has proved perfect therapy. It doesn't matter if he's drivelling his usual political nonsense, or if his computer generated alter ego is calling Harry Kane an immobile c*nt - he's just a bloke who will be gone soon. But the England football team is the England football team and I'm here for them now.

I don't care how we do it, I want us to scratch out the ugliest, most irritating and unfair win possible. We are England, and we will win how we want.

So on that basis, come on France, let's not make it any harder than it needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment