Saturday 19 May 2012

Predictions: Group C

This one is pretty straight forward for me. Two stand-out teams (in the shape of Spain and Italy), and two underdogs, Croatia and the Republic of Ireland. I'm not really sticking my neck out and predicting anything out of the ordinary, but the group does have the potential for a surprise along the way.

1. Spain. I have to back them to top the group. They will likely do so with around 70%+ of possession in their games. Whilst some might argue that Xavi and Iniesta are not quite the force they were 2 and 4 years ago, they seem, in my mind to have beome more of a unit - and will be mightily hard to beat. I even think Torres will have a big impact as his form has improved as the season has gone on.

2. Italy. Basically the same as England, only better looking. I generally go into tournaments looking forward to seeing them, and expecting them to be good - only to be utterly disappointed. I hear they've made an improvement and play with a little more urgency; and so I expect them to be strong and possibly bag a semi final spot. The risk is that both Ireland and Croatia will be massively targeting them.

3. Croatia. Plenty of flair, but I think not enough about them to progress. There is the upset potential, but I think it is more likely that one of their defenders, loses the plot and sees the team slump to defeat with 10 men.

4. Republic of Ireland. Aha pluck time. Its been 20 years since they last qualified for a major tournament, and they have enough about them to have a real go. Looking forward to seeing Dunne and Keane get their chance to make an impact at this level, and the Irish have enough about them not to be whipping boys. Trap does tend to set them up rather defensively though, and I expect this might see them getting turned over by both Spain and  Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment